Thursday, September 4, 2008

Sarah Palin makes me sad. Very, very sad.

Barack Obama's speech last week made me want to go out and be involved. He made me want to vote and knock on doors and encourage others to vote. He made me want to volunteer. He made me want to give my fellow citizen the benefit of the doubt even when I'm in a really crappy mood. His personal story made me think that maybe this country is the land of opportunity. He made me think it was possible that we'd start to rely more on alternative energy, that everyone might have access to health care, and that one day, the United States might regain its reputation on the world stage. He made me actually kind of proud to call myself an American.

After watching Sarah Palin's speech last night, I want to crawl into a very small, dark hole and never come out. It made me hate people. It made me think the world is a very smug, snarky, sarcastic, bitter place where it's every woman for herself. She made me feel like this is a last push to exploit natural resources, live it up, and do whatever we want because the world's going to end any second any way. She made me ashamed to be an American and she made me sad that she's the only woman on either ticket this year.

And then she air kissed her own children. She air kissed her children. Who does that?

2 comments:

Lesley of Banana Pants Clothes said...

She makes me sad too, and I think you just articulated the very reasons why. I couldn't quite pinpoint the reason she gave me such an "icky" feeling before.


I watched the speech, but didn't catch the air kisses because I was simultaneously playing Scrabble with my man and not really looking at the tv, just listening.

Rhena said...

Lesley, Scrabble is a much better way to be spending your time. Much better.