Monday, June 9, 2008

Brioche Craving Sated!

Every so often, especially on the weekends, I crave a light, delicious, buttery brioche. Time and again I have tried to find me a bakery nearby that has flaky brioche in single servings. Time and again, my craving has gone unsated.

At last, at long, long last, a purveyor of the French manna has opened shop. Michelle Gayer of Franklin Street Bakery fame (and Charlie Trotters in Chicago, which apparently means something BIG to some people), has opened The Salty Tart, her own bakery in the Midtown Global Market. We were dropping by to grab some lunch and had to stop by the new place. She had a kick-ass array of sweets and savories, including the beloved brioche. I tried a savory one with some olives, a little tomato, and some hard cheese on top (asiago, perhaps?). I almost cried when one of the large slivers of cheese fell on the floor when I pulled it out of the bag. Still, it was a lovely, airy, flaky brioche.

I can't wait to try more of her treats. I will weigh 300 pounds by the end of the month. It will not be pretty, but I will sate my brioche craving.

No comments: